It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

** THA MAN GETS THE RENEGADE RADIO DJs IN BRIEFS #002 ** 
Renegade Admin
Renegade Admin

Post ** THA MAN GETS THE RENEGADE RADIO DJs IN BRIEFS #002 **
** THA MAN GETS THE RENEGADE RADIO DJs IN BRIEFS #002 **

** Hello MIKE SPEED, please tell me more about yourself personally !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm a true Yorkshire man, born in Bradford, lived in Leeds in my younger years and now live in a small town called Mirfield near Huddersfield since I was 9 years old. Been in the same house for 20 years now which I originally bought with my twin bro (The RG). I'm not married but live with Sarah, mum of my two boys, Daniel (4), and Bobby (2). I'm a laid back, easy going bloke but always on the go, my life consists of lists of things I plan on doing, mostly musically influenced. Firery when pushed to the limit! Freelance Graphic Designer by day.

** Why did you become a DJ ?
----------------------------

Always been in to my music, but started djing in 1986 at the local youthy, pirate radio in the early 1990's is where I began to start mixing proper and still do to this day, it well never leave me.

** So why the given DJ Name ?
-----------------------------

The Dj name came from a nickname i have 'Speedy' after being in to motorbikes as a teenager, when I joined my first pirate station I had to use a different name, so I became 'Mike Speed'.

** Please tell me something about your Mixing Style/Genre ?
-----------------------------------------------------------

I've been in to many different genres over the years from acid house to techno to hardhouse, I've always gone with uplifters and the harder end of music. I mostly now play the harder end of oldskool on the Renegade but always keep up to date with new stuff.

** What equipment you're using now ?
------------------------------------

Equipment, 1210's, Vestax PMC170a Mixer, Stealth Control, Mac Book Pro & Traktor Pro 2.6, and Kaoss Pad 3, all through a Behringer compressor/limiter, Amp and M-Audio Monitors I also own other pieces of Dj equipment which 'I play with' in my mixes.

** Who was or is your big example ?
-----------------------------------

Carl Cox, Tony De Vit, Rob Tissera, DJ Sy

** Do you still have the ambition to break through ?
----------------------------------------------------

I still play out at various nights, but not very often, it would be cool to break through, but its not my priority, just want to carry on producing quality mixes and radio shows, with a bit of thought behind them and to keep searching for all the tracks I never had, and the new oldskool finds.

** Based on music, what irritates you ?
---------------------------------------

The things which irritate me are, new djs who think they can mix because they have a copy of Traktor and a Sync button, I truly believe in new technology, I mix digitally as well as vinyl myself, but I never use the Sync button, I've learnt on vinyl and know how to mix and build my sets. David Guetta irritates me. Well known DJ's who are just proper shit and that new pop dance which all sounds exactly the same, or is that just me getting old.

** And to end, which tune(s) changed your life ?
------------------------------------------------

There are so many tunes which changed my life, and helped situations in my life, so here are a few of tracks which I'll never get bored of
The Source Feat. Candi Staton - You've Got The Love - A classic but still gives me goose pimps to this day, one on my funeral list, when that day comes.
Humanoid ‎– Stakker Humanoid - One of the tunes that introduced me to Acid House, and still sounds belting to this day.
Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy - How can you have a day with out a night!
Drax Ltd. II ‎– Amphetamine - The best rush ever when Carl Cox dropped this at the Ark night in Leeds!

We catch you live on http://www.renegaderadio.co.uk @ Alternate Friday's, 8-10pm, Mike Speed's Friday Night Live!
Thankx alot for answering the Questions.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW